Essentials to brush off winter’s harshness and soak in pure hydration this spring
When it comes to beauty and skin care this spring, follow Mother Nature's lead — begin anew. In other words, slough off that winter skin with an exfoliator, hydrate tender skin with a rich moisturizer, protect it with a sun care product, and tame those frizzies. Here are a few new to the market.
The Big Brush Off
1. La Prairie: Cellular Mineral Body Exfoliator. This new treatment uses a blend of mineral-enriched gem powders—diamond, amethyst powder and smithsonite extract—to polish the entire body luxuriously. Bye dead skin cells, hello glowing skin. La Prairie's Cellular Mineral Face Exfoliator, also new, is enriched with rock crystal, diamond and tourmaline powder to combat impurities, dead skin cells and dryness.
2. Aveda: If you have wavy or curly hair, Aveda wants you to embrace the curl. Its new 'be curly' line comes in two naturally derived formulations—one for controlling curls, the other for enhancing them. Both get rid of frizz, which can be a challenge during the humid days of spring. Be curly uses organic Brazilian babassu oil to smooth and elongate tight curls. The curl-enhancing spray finishes off your look with a light hold; it's wheat protein and organic aloe expand when wet and retract when dry, taming frizz.
3. Darphin: Vitalskin is a new skincare line that uses the skin's natural energy to counter the effects of aging. Its Enerstim Complex (TM) uses botanical extracts Sapindus Mukorossi (a medicinal fruit) and Laminaria Digitata (an algae) to act as what the company calls "energy activators." Think of it as an all-day skin rejuvenation. The Anti-Fatigue Dynamizing Serum recharges, while the Re-plumping Energic Emulsion promotes skin's resilience.
4. MDSolarSciences: The new line of skin-care and sun-care protection products is designed to help you guard your skin against sun damage and signs of photo-aging. Its ProVention-R (TM) technology uses antioxidants, pigment-modifying agents, biomimetic moisturizers and humectants, and collagen-signaling peptides to treat and protect skin.
5. Alba Botanica: This inexpensive line of products includes an indulgently rich body cream that applies lightly; plus, it's free of parabens, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfates and sodium myreth sulfates (whatever those things are). We like that it smells clean and simple. We also like that its new Even Advanced Sea Moss Moisturizer ($16.99) evens skin tone while also providing sun protection.
Listen to Mother
6. Avalon Organics: Made with at least 70 percent organic ingredients, including Babassu Oil and vitamin E, the Grapefruit and Geranuim Smoothing shampoo and conditioner work together to repair damage, counter all the "fun" that humidity brings, and seals locks with moisture. Count on Mother Nature to know best.